Mary Shadbolt: Tiger Fly

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Koven Stove, The Cliffs, Hoboken



















This is the building that used to house "Koven Stove". In the 19th and 20th centuries, they made stoves here, and then afterwards it was used as storage for a book distributer. When driving up Paterson Plank road in Hoboken up to Jersey city Heights, this long brick building is a familiar site. It used to boast signs for "bookbinding" as well as a puppy adoption.
I passed it everyday on my way to work, as well as on my way back. It was interesting to see the building go from an abandoned brick warehouse to a brick facade as they gutted it. Then I noticed all the graffitti on the inside. It was like a time capsule into the late 70's and 80's had been opened. Ironically I was introducing graffitti to my art students in the urban school where I worked. So this was like a gold mine of visuals for me.
now this vacant building is no longer so vacant. It is the future home of "The Cliffs". Soon 128 housing units will be present here, along with about 90 parking spaces.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


© Copyright Mary Shadbolt 2006-2008 | Site Design By Algorithm